Monday, March 26, 2007

Is that really me?



How do we see ourselves?...I never knew I looked like that! It's gotta be 1958. La Verne, California.


Me, Dan (age 23), and "Mimere" with "Gramps", my Dad's parents. Photo is from late December, 1980 (not long after John Lennon's death, I recall). We are in New Orleans. The house we are standing in has since been destroyed by hurricane Katrina. My grandfather (right), was to pass away in a matter of months from the taking of this picture, while my grandmother lived on for several more years.

Again, I offer this photo of the two of them (my grandparents, Dad's side)...many years before. They were both born in the early 1890's.


Then there was me, yet again. I am seated on a rock (Mt. Rubidoux) near Riverside, California. I was much interested in rock climbing and mountaineering...and we were doing just that. Note the climbing harness and ropes. One of my big heroes was Chris Bonington, the famous British mountaineer. My brother, Steve, took the photo. This photo was likely taken in the 1970's.

--Dan

1 comment:

grace said...

great mountaineering photo. Ah, I remember Bob's Big Boy, thousand island dressing on the hamburgers. We loved it as kids. Are there any left now? Enjoying your old photos Dan. True, did we really look like that? Maybe you are inspiring me to pull out some old photos!!