Saturday, March 17, 2007

And then there was more...



Adam, (last name is Ruth, though not my own last name) born 1826, pictured here maybe in 1860's??? I believe he is my Dad's great grandfather.



Above: Yet again more of our clan, from the much the similar era. Andre Jean Ebisch and Catherine Wolff (note to self: where do these names come from, Dan ?).



This is a photo of some friends hanging around their college gang on Mardi Gras in New Orleans, circa 1940's. My dear Mother is at the very left, standing with a fellow by the name of Al. It was Al who moved to California in later years, and often invited us to come to his lemon grove to pick lemons off of the trees. We froze the juice providing us with weeks and weeks worth of lemonade.




Three of my aunts from my Father's side, they ALL went on to become Catholic nuns! This photo is around 1929, in New Orleans. From left, Gertrude, Muriel and Maxine. Maxine passed away in recent years, while one of the others resides in Austin, TX.



Here are two of those young girls from 1929!
...Gertrude, left, Maxine, right.


My own Dad, Francis, born and raised in the French Quarter of New Orleans (Royal Street), at the age of 14.




My Dad, in the US Navy, served in WW II and Korea, as well as the Naval Reserve. He has written his autobiography, and it is available on the net as "Vestigia". None of these photos are in the book, so these posts are a real steal for those that wish for more.




War ravaged Zamboanga, Phillipines. Photo by my Dad, WW II.

--Dan

3 comments:

grace said...

Hello Dan, I have been enjoying your photos, they are so wonderful, they all look so happy, what a time it was? I think life was, although so much was changing and war etc, was simple, no complications. Thanks for sharing, great memories of you family.

Dan L. said...

Grace:

You are most welcome!

I must say, though, there certainly were many complications, back then, no doubt!...However, my family has been so very blessed, and so very focused! Think of: The Great Depression, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc.

I have a cousin on the New Orleans FD. He was in terrble troulbe what with the "mob mentality" during Katrina. His life was in danger.

Yay for Grace to visit here!

--Dan L.

Nabonidus said...

You are so lucky to have these! And you know, even if you didn't have these photos but had all the info, that still is more than a lot of people have, Dan.

Anyway, I came by to say:
It's the same prinicple as when you upload pics and vids to blogger,
actually. I recognized the same format when I clicked upload. And Lord knows I don't know what I'm doing with blogger, either.
But since I know you can post pics to blogger, I know you can post vids to Youtube. :) You'll recognize the same format, I think.
You might get hung up on what kind of account you want, music or regular. I chose music/misc, but it doesn't matter. :)