Saturday, March 03, 2007

In the last week...

I had the pleasure of attending a conference on ecology and the environment this last week...courtesy of my job, with pay...all day!
We started out with some presentations by guest speakers, some with the company, others not. One such speaker was Huell Howser, best known for his programs on PBS (Public Television), here in the USA and especially in California. He is one of the most up-beat, positive, nicest individuals I have ever met. I posted here, today, a quick snapshot of him shaking somebody's hand as he was exiting the room. You might recognise him from the popular show "California's Gold", again, on PBS.
We then headed out to a visit and touring of the South Coast Botanical Gardens somewhere near Torrance, California. It was an OUTSTANDING day...the sky was beautiful, the air crisp, the plants and birds everywhere. The gardens are located on...an old landfill!
Following the gardens, and a fine BBQ catered lunch, we headed on down the coast for a bit to the stunningly magnificent Pacific Ocean, and arrived at the wonderful Cabrillo Marine Aquarium. Now, I have been to a few aquariums, and although the one in Long Beach (California) is huge and wondrous, I rather liked this somewhat smallish but very clean and lively exhibit. We listened (or tried to) a few more speakers from my company as well as some aquarium staff, and then toured the aquatic displays. It was very interesting and fun.
The wildlife photos I have posted are real living creatures, not posters or such. The jellyfish seem a bit discolored due to reflections in the glass.
These are all cell phone-cam shots, because my camera was asleep at home.
Feel free to "click" on the photos...as I always say, they get bigger.





Lastly, I have noticed that on the blog of Pete Townshend, he has posted some rather old family photos. I too, posses a few of those. Here is one dating back to the 1800's of some of my great grandparents' family:


--Dan

3 comments:

grace said...

I like that old 1800's photo. The aquarium shots are great too. Sounds like a good day.

Are you at the Hotel Cafe tonite?

Dan L. said...

Nope. I did not get tickets. I think by me not being there, I saved space enough for 50. I did try, and wanted to take my wife.

See ya!

--Dan L.

Dale said...

Hi Dan

Great photos - with a cell phone, no less!

I also like the idea of a botanical garden atop an old landfill site - makes sense.

Great shot of your ancestors, too.
I have some paintings done of my predecessors from the 1700's - before the day of the camera.

LOL Woodpeckers, shuttlecraft and space launches!