Friday, January 20, 2006

A Story for Pete



For Pete Townshend, and the whale(s) of the river Thames:

I turned on the news today, and I witnessed a whale (or two?) swimming in the Thames (intially thought to be a "pilot" whale).

Now, I don't know if that's an omen of any kind, but don't you think it's strange that whales in the Thames seems to mainly occur when your novella approaches its final month?

What do they want? Why are they there? So many questions!



=========================

There once was a whale that swam up stream
He was a bit lost...maybe followed the bream

The trouble that started was really not normal
For as he approached the Queen's castle, he was not dressed in formal

The Queen took notice, in great fascination
And commented duly on said whale's destination

"Why do you come, my friend, little whale?
Are you on your way....on a new found trail?”

"No", said the benthic body of blue
"I enjoin this journey, though not dressed for you"

"I have not arrived to perturb nor portend"
"It's just that Pete's story is soon to end"

The Queen had to marvel at the whale's dedication
She sensed indeed, the whole predication

"My friend, sweet whale, my fin flicking friend"...
"You are most noble, so brave, to seek Mr. Townshend"

So together they journeyed to the island of Pie
An unusual couple, (no need to say why)

Gracious words, stories abundant were told
Those moments among them were precious as gold

"Well, the time now has now come, for you to return to the sea"
Said Pete, “I'll remember always, you looking for me.”

Just as Pete and the Lady had begun ending their visit
The whale started in with a question…he began to inquisit

Before heading to azure, the marine depths of the ocean
The whale turned his head, as if with a notion

“When your story does end, and we look back on the joy
Will we still hear from the musical boy?”

With a long wave and a smile…wiping a tear from his eye
“I’ll always be here, my friend.” Said Pete, “Peace and goodbye!”


© 2006 Dan L. and the Whale Friends of Ahab

--Dan L.

4 comments:

E.L. Wisty said...

Hehe, whether or not the whale has any connection to Pete I can't say. But it sure must have surprised the Londoners, seeing a whale right in the middle of their city.

ginab said...

Oh the end story of THE whale is a bum tale. I don't think I'd survive if I swam up the Thames. I reckon it's ticker gave out, given all the attention, given all the stress.

Anyway, thanks for shooting by mine. The link or the URL only took me to Google's image search page. I would love to see anything on boxers, of course (thanks for thinking of me and mine; certainly, it is the thought that counts).

Seems that by now it's "first thing in the morning". I know it's 2:23 a.m. here.

Ever the insomniac,

g+bb

wind-up-man said...

Dan,Great minds think alike....Great post,Thanks,Dan

Lee Bird said...

Dan, thanks for the pic of Pete and parrot. I'd never seen that one, but I saved it for future use. :)