Saturday, January 28, 2006

Dads and Kids






What is a Dad? My Dad's car reminded me of him...his shoes were also him. Even his telephone was...my Dad.

What am I to my kids? Dad's are important. I am, whether I like it or not. That's fine. I like it.

Last week, my daughter was in concert at a very special event. One of the University music directors conducted a one day workshop for the high school "honor" band students. Marion, my daughter, played trumpet. It was jam packed. It was very beautiful. The orchestra picture is on the left. An earlier marching performance (several weeks ago) is shown on the right. Marion is the trumpeter on the left.

It is truly amazing to see what working in unison can do. These kids did not know each other, yet the music was complete. Awesome.

--Dan

2 comments:

ginab said...

Dan,

I think you're a great dad. I suspect your attention means the world to your daughter. By the sounds of things, each kid had some adult vying for them as the music came together so well.

Thank you for jumping in to my defense over the library book. I laughed, as in I chuckled. You're great.

-g+bb

Tommy DisCool said...

Hi Dan, here is the answer to your question.

I thought the connection was comical. I could have mentioned a few other people that make comments about The Boy Who Heard Music. But I liked your persona the best. It’s a fun loving persona.

The image of you stalking Peter Townshend, in such the gentle manner, as this boy stalks Kurt Vonnegut, struck me as being funny. So I used it as an introduction.

And you’re right, my site does change quite often in subtle little ways. Yes, the link was recently added. It was not aimed at you, or anyone else. If someone else found it to be funny, fine, if not, it wasn’t all that important. It was the story about Vonnegut that carried the message and it could do it all by itself. It didn’t need any help from me. My job was to get people to click on it, and you did click on it, and you read it. It’s not always easy getting people to click.

If I add a new link to another site, and I choose to bury it in a story, and nobody finds it for a year, I don’t care, it’s not my loss. I find this whole experience, messing around with strangers, to be wacky and nuts, so I don’t like to get too serious. I don’t want to fall in love.

Tommy D