Saturday, January 14, 2006

THE ATOMIC CANNON


Note: DO NOT leave this site without watching this gun go off. It was only a test fire, and it is impressive. The link is at the very bottom of this article, the one that ends with "cannon". Turn your sound on (this is not a trick, just part of history).

I was in Alburquerque, New Mexico, a few years ago, and I saw this gun. I have been reading Pete Townshend's novella on his blog, and the story referenced the Hiroshima bomb. The idea came to me to share knowledge of an unusual device with bloggers...

THE ATOMIC CANNON

Operation: Upshot Knothole
Shot Name: Grable
Shot number: 10
Date: May 25, 1953
Detonation: Airburst
Yield: 15 kt
Height of Blast: 524 ft
Location: Frenchman Flat - Nevada Test Site
Mark 9 Gun Weapon Sponser: Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory

The Atomic Cannon, at 280 mm, was the largest nuclear capable mobile artillery piece manufactured by the United States. On May 25, 1953, a 280 mm cannon fired an atomic projectile a distance of 7 miles at the Nevada Test Site. Twenty 280 mm cannons were manufactured. None were used in battle.

ref. www.vce.com

Wanna see it work...the cannon FIRE? Click here: http://www.vce.com/AtomicGallery/movies/cannon.html

--Dan

10 comments:

Gary said...

I hope your ankle gets better very soon Dan, sounds bad. I'm having a few back problems, but nothing compared to the pain you are probably enduring. Hang in there.

Gary said...

Believe me Dan, I can appreciate what you may be feeling. A few years ago I ended up in the emergency room with of all things, an infected ingrowing toenail. I've never been in so much pain in my entire life. Vicodin had no effect on this thing. Emergency room was able to get me numb, and able to sleep. The next day it turns out all the foot dr's in OC were at a convention, but by lucky chance I found an absolute angel in Mission Viejo who did a permanent procedure on it, and I didn't feel a thing. So much swelling, so much infection, I almost lost my toe. I had been shelling out $120 every 3 months to this other Dr. who trimmed, but never fixed the problem. Anyhow, all is well now. I do hope you feel better soon.

If you are interested, I put a new song on my Power Chords blog called Baby Teeth that may sooth your aches and pains.

Gary said...

Dan,
we're going to be in and out all day today. Would be nice to meet up for dinner or lunch one of these weekends with you. If you need to reach me, I have enabled my email address on the ol blogger profile.

Take care of the foot mate.

Amanda and SuperAmanda™ said...

Hi Dan,
Fascinating piece! Kaboom. I inherited a rock collection that included a small piece of sidewalk from Hiroshima...it stays in my storage unit.
I've really enjoyed all your work on reviewing Pete's book. The fact that you like my tribute means so much to me you can't imagine. Will try to find those Redwoods before the Winnebagos go on the rampage this summer!

10:21 AM
Delete

TheStLouieWhoie said...

Interesting picture, Dan. You seem like a very fun person and must be a great father :) My husband and I visited California to see The Who in 2004. Did you go to any shows?
Hope you heal quickly.
Love, Denise

atomicelroy said...

Dan,
thanks for the nod on my blog!
I like this atomic canon!

cheers!
AE.06

Anne-Marie said...

Dan,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly and I do hope you'll be on the mend quickly. It's funny how much time you can spend on the computer when you're not able to move about freely (or you have winter holidays), isn't it?

I always tell students to do what they love, and to do things as well as they can. I really do have a great job.

Cheers, and best wishes for a quick recovery,
Anne-Marie

greekzoe said...

Dan,
Thanks for your very nice comment on my picture!
This one you have here is cool. For fun though, not for real. That kind of stuff scares me.

I enjoy your posts over at Pete's. You seem like a real down to Earth guy and that I can relate too.

I hope your gout heals soon. I know that is a painful condition. My Dad used to get it and he was miserable. They say that is a rich man's disease because of the "rich"foods they eat. My Dad wasn't rich!;) Oh well, get better!

Zoe

lryicsgrl said...

So Pete owns a Vineyard?

Blog to you soon!

Sue

TheStLouieWhoie said...

Hey Dan, you were right! I spoke with my father last night and he said it was a training plane...a PT something?
Just heard the canon blast! I guess it would be pretty awesome to see and hear it in person.