Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Grand Canyon




My best recollection places this photo of me, Dan, on the Tonto plateau of the Grand Canyon (Tonto trail between Kaibab and Grand View), in December, 1980. It was to be the only truly sunny day for that whole week in the canyon. No, we were not riding mules, just my backpack. It was about day three of six. It was my second trip of this sort in about a year. I am not looking real happy, likely due to the intervention of the camera, though at my request, no doubt. I really was thrilled beyond belief. Remember, it is winter, and though looks warm and dandy, was actually chilly and just below the winter snow level where we sometimes slept in the snow. You can see the river, the Colorado, far below, but don't forget that the Tonto plateau is merely half way down, and thus puts this photo in perspective.
The trip we took covered what is commonly known as a loop, which involved a car shuttle, since we did not exit where we began. The entire trip was about 40 or 50+ miles in the six days over very rugged and steep terrain. I was very used to such things, so it was most pleasent for me. I will cherish those times forever.

--Dan L.

4 comments:

PDBT said...

Dan:
Excellent photo.
I hope you have had the time to have it blown up and mounted on your wall in a beautiful frame and it does not spend it's time in a box somewhere. It is quite majestic!

-Lin B.

grace said...

ah, what memories Dan. Great photo. Happy Easter to you and your family. xx

JOY said...

I have always wanted to visit the grand canyon.

After seeing these pictures I really want to go soon.

Thanks for sharing them with us, glad you have such wonderful memories.

Vallypee said...

Great photo, Dan! What a fantastic view!