Saturday, April 05, 2008

Once again, the Earth groans...Charlton Heston has passed on at age 84

Yet another great loss as the rest of us soldier on...

Charlton Heston, as Moses, in The Ten Commandments
He was very real. No fluff, no fake.
I bought this book for my wife while she was in the hospital. It was fairly current at the time. I have read it myself. It is a real class act.
Who could resist the chariot race scene in Ben Hur? Wow!
I once saw him live at a play in Los Angeles back in around 1972 0r '73. That play was The Crucible.
What a great guy he was, on the screen, off the screen. Rest in peace, Charlton!
--Dan

2 comments:

grace said...

that was sad news of his passing. what a great actor.

Hope you and yours are well. xo

MargieCM said...

Ah yes Dan, another screen great gone. I remember his films mainly from something called "Epic Theatre", which was a regular movie slot on Sunday afternoons many years ago. All Cecil B. DeMille and Biblical megafilms. Ben-Hur was a regular favourite.

As I think you know, I am no fan of the sort of gun advocacy / right to bear arms that he espoused so passionately, but we both live in democracies, thank goodness, and can disagree happily.

You're lucky to have seen him in "The Crucible". What a powerful play that is.

Yours is a lovely and heartfelt tribute.