Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend


B-17's, WWII.

"In 1943, it was estimated that 1/3rd of all B17 crews would not survive the war and the huge losses sustained in daylight raids nearly caused an end to such raids."

"The bombing raids on Germany by the 8th Air Force and the RAF’s Bomber Command, took the heart out of Germany’s industrial production. By September 1944, Germany had lost 75% of its fuel production. Out of the 1.5 million tons of bombs dropped on Germany, the B17 dropped 500,000 tons. The 8th Air Force had fired 99 million rounds of ammunition during these flights and it is thought that 20,000 German planes were destroyed. In total, over 12,000 B17’s were built in the war and nearly 250,000 Americans experienced flying in them. 46,500 were either killed or wounded. However, the part played by the B17 in the European theatre of war was of great importance."

--ref.
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/b17_flying_fortress.htm

My uncle was a ball turret gunner (B-17) flying from England to targets in Europe. He was shot down, imprisoned, but then liberated as the war neared to a close. He is no longer with us now, but yet he is.

His name was Albert Jr.

May God Bless all of the brave mean that served, especially those that gave the ulimate sacrifice in the line of duty.


--Dan

4 comments:

grace said...

Have a great holiday weekend. Like the new profile pic!

take care xx

Nabonidus said...

Great post Dan. Remember my grandpa
was a tailgunner, served in England
during ww2. My thoughts are with him and my dad right now. My dad did 3 TOD in Vietnam and was intimately involved in some sort of horrific (unsuccesful)rescue mission involving a ship called the Pueblo. My dad was wounded and many others were killed.:(
My brother and I never knew any of this until we were grown. But we would have been able to tell anyone that our dad was damaged by the war and was never quite the same.
I think he was ashamed of Vietnam
- he couldn't see how brave he was or how heroic. He only heard the people that said we shouldn't have been over there.
But he was as brave as they come and a real hero to my brother and me.
Anyway, thanks for the great Memorial Day post.
And I also like your new profile pic-I keep forgetting that you aren't my age!I admit it!That's why I was surprised you hadn't heard of certain things, awhile back. ;)

Dale said...

My Uncle Gordon flew bombers in the RCAF during WWII.
He never spoke of it to me personally and I never did find out what exactly he did during those air raids over Europe.

I do know he was taken prisoner twice by the Italian troops.
In the first instance he escaped, but was recaptured and held till war's end.

In Canada we celebrate Rememberance Day to honour our own who fought in WWI, WWII and Korea and gave up their lives for our freedom.

The photo is amazing!

Hans said...

The ball turret must have been the most awkward place. I have read the most hairraising stories about ball turret gunners got trapped in the turrets and dived with the plane into their death, others trapped in the turret while belly-landing with inoperaple landing gear.