Saturday, December 03, 2005

In Search of Halley's Comet




The month of January, 1985 (or '86?). It was sunset on the summit of the 10, 064 ft. Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy to us in Southern Calif.). This great mountain peak can be seen from all over Southern California (even Catalina Island).

The journey to the top was maybe my 25th or so...I cannot count them. It was in the fading light of the winter sun that I was in search of the vision of Halley's comet. It only comes around once in more than eighty years, so I figured I'd better get a good look.

I did not know how to locate it, back then. It was not readily visible on that particular evening. Having to leave the top of the mountain without achieving my purpose, it was to turn into a long journey home for me that day. The long trod home, the late night arrival to my new wife...it would stay in my mind for years to come.

I was not alone, by the way. I did have a friend with me. It was quite an evening...but I did love the moment....It is what I enjoyed most, and I was truly alive.

Blurry photo due to high winds, by the way.


--Dan

No comments: