Sunday, March 09, 2008

I see you...


A lot of communities around here are reluctant to be inundated with cell phone towers. The alternative trend is to make a financial arrangement with whoever it needs to be made with...(the cell phone companies galore) and build a "likeable" alternative. I laugh at the results...I have even seen fake redwood trees in the absolute middle of nowhere...though this photo is one of the more happy results, it just does not do it for me. Ah, it is the way of things now.
I SEE YOU hiding, little tree!

"click" on it, you will see it better.

The cell phone "tree tower" picture was taken as we were going to our favorite pizza joint...so here is a photo of the some of us (we are more than this number, but we are what we were) arriving there, this Sunday afternoon for lunch.


Lastly, here is a video of Allen and his daughter in his garage. You may know that he is my next door neighbor, and we sometimes play guitar music there, among many other things. Listen carefully to the sound in the clip...you "older" folks may recognize some song. If you, Koos, an occasional visitor, read this, you will know, most particularly.

--Dan

7 comments:

MargieCM said...

Yes yes! I recognise the tune - "Dominique". Can't remember who did it though.

As for those phone towers, they make me laugh too. For me the issue is any radiation they might give off rather than what they look like, but that's another story. Here there was a controversy about ten years ago when they started paying churches to allow the telecom companies to install the things on their spires and high crosses. Not surprisingly, many didn't like it, but the churches said they were paid well and it helped in the upkeep of the buildings. The hoo-ha passed, and the transmitters stayed.

Vallypee said...

Hi dan, Well I've sent Koos over to read your blog as I saw it first, but he'll have to wait just a minute a two while I finish listening to one of my favourite songs ever........no clues!

Vallypee said...

Okay, he got it. So did I, but only half!

About the phone towers, we see a lot of them in South Africa too, where they look just as incongruous, especially when they are standing all alone in the middle of areas of semi-desert.....as if we don't know, hey?

Koos F said...

Hi Dan
Those telephone antennas, yes. An issue all over the world I suppose. Making mental note to take picture of the church steeple of Zelzate, Belgium.
They couldn't hide the antennas at the top because they were needed only halfway up. And guess what? They painted the brick pattern over the antennas in a slightly different color. Good Belgian taste and improvisation!

Thanks for your confidence in me, even mentioning me in your bit about Soeur Sourire, from Canada of course, just like Kate & Anna McGarrigle.
Her French was so clear that even my limited Dutchman's understanding could hear: Dominique-nique-nique s'en allait tout simplement. Routier, pauvre et chantant. En tout chemin en tout lieu il ne parl' que du bon Dieu, il ne parl' que du bon Dieu. (Dominic our father simply went off on his way, poor and singing. On every road, in every place he speaks only of the good Lord).

Great post, Dan!

Dale said...

Dan, not to mention the unsightly power lines strung from equally unsightly poles overlooking an unsightly mini-mall with multitudes of unsightly vehicles parked in it's lot!

Where's the beauty?

Oh, look! The mountains are peaking through!

As for the video, I will watch it on a computer that has speakers...

Thanks for the insight - unsightly as it may be.

Margie - it's the Singing Nuns!

Dale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
grace said...

Hi Dan, must have the cell towers!! We must have communication! I did not know the song, all who have posted before me did, cool.