Sunday, May 04, 2008

Air Shows...we love 'em! March ARB, Riverside, CA


The utterly magnificent, incredible, United States Air Force F-22 Raptor, in flight.

My sweet wife, Cruz, and my youngest daughter, Marion (almost 18!), at the show.

Allen, my next door neighbor, working the vendor booth for shaved ice.


The "business end" of the "Warthog", otherwise known as the USAF A-10 Thunderbolt II, a tank killer. "Click" to view.

The remote controlled "Predator"! used in Iraq and Afghanistan, I have seen this thing fly in RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY CAR in the remote area known as California's Mojave Desert.


Looking over the shoulder of Predator.

More of Predator. Note the covered propeller.

F/A-18 Hornet.

USAF C-5.


Looking inside the volumous C-5 USAF Transport plane, the largest in the USAF inventory.


WW II era P-40 Warhawk, it is flyable.

There was a whole lot, lot more, but maybe I'll post more another day....

--Dan

6 comments:

grace said...

The first photo is fantastic with the coulds and the plane. Nice.

I so appreciate your love for the Airplane. My Dad love it too. It led me to join the Navy, I know, not the Airforce, but just needed to belong to it all. He was so proud of me. Your posts bring alot of memories for me. My Grandma worked at (oh no it escapes me) in Orange County..a base there ah, you know
Dan?

MargieCM said...

Wow, that Predator looks very insect-y. What an amazing piece of machinery.

My brother used to collect Airfix models. (He's a bit of a flight nut too). My favourite was the Spitfire - such a pretty little plane, although you wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end of it in action. The Warhawk reminded me of it a bit. I think it's the same plane as the Brits called the Kittyhawk. See how knowledgeable I am? Sadly, that knowledge stops there - my brother never collected anything post-WW2.

Vallypee said...

Super lovely photos, Dan! I used to like airshows in the UK, but haven't been to any since I left back in the early eighties. They can be so thrilling though.Have you ever seen the red arrows? I expect you have displays like that at your airshows too.I agree with Margie about the predator...almost creepy!

Koos F said...

Scary machines, Dan. I am in awe of them, and when the big ones come over, I am frightened, whether it says USAF of CCCP - no difference. However, I could easily imagine being fascinated of these planes in spite of all that. That predator is one I want for myself. Where can I get it?

With a smile I read the way you describe the remote controlled plane in a remote part of the desert. Very appropriate. But I understand that must have been a great thrill.

Dale said...

Wow Dan!

I love airplanes, too. Especially the ones used in the Air Force. My 2 favourites are the F16 and the Prowler.
We saw the Blue Angels about 20 years ago at Naval Air Station Whitby Island and that is where I fell in love the the fighter planes. I also like the Corsairs that were flown by the Black Sheep Squadron in WWII.

I hope Cruz had a lovely Mother's Day!

MargieCM said...

Hi Dan,

I've just had another look at the pictures, and I'm wondering - am I the only one who finds the Predator's profile just a little bit, um, rude? No? Just me then.

All I can say is that if there's an Arfix model of that one, it should come with an X rating.