Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's that time of year

The vast desert regions out here are filled with living things. Our friend, J.P., recently went to visit some of them...
A chuckawalla reptile, hard to catch one of these, but J.P. did it! Yes, he released it soon after, as he did all of the fine desert creatures of the day's find. Chuckawallas are famous for scurrying quickly under rocks and expanding their bodies to wedge themselves in. It is said that the only way to remove one that is wedged is to either terminate them, or break up the rocks! I would not consider either.

A red racer snake! He wanted to bite!

The horned toad lizard...a very colorful fellow! These fellows are quite friendly and easy to handle.
I did not take any of these photos, indeed, I was not even there at the time. However, I love to frequent that part of our California deserts, and plan to meet J.P. out there very, very soon. Neither of us live out there, but we just enjoy the visit.

Here is a photo taken several years ago in the same general desert area as the reptile photos. Those are my two youngest daughters, though now they are in college! Notice the clothing...it can get quite cold out there in other months! The picture was taken with the rising sun.
It's very hot here these days, but at least I don't quite live out in the big desert.
To better view any photo, "click" and it looks bigger...most of the time, anyway.
--Dan

4 comments:

grace said...

I love reptiles. My girls went for Rattlesnake Avoidence training today. They went last year, I will hope it will help assist them in not getting bit. I personally love reptiles, as long as they don't injure my girls. :)

great photos as always Dan

Vallypee said...

Hi Dan, the desert is indeed an amazing place, and these creatures are just part of the magic of the living deserts all over the world. It's so wonderful to see that they are still thriving. I spent some time in the Namib desert about 15 years ago, and loved it so much, it still rates as the best holiday of my life. The wildlife and incredible eco system we saw there was breathtaking.

On the subject of vespas (little wasps, of course ;-)), mine is a lovely old one from about 1980 - real Italisan style - and is just perfect for zooming along quiet Dutch dykes. I can well imagine, though, that bikes are more the thing in California...just imagining those distances at my meagre 40kms p.h...no,no, no.

Unknown said...

Hey Dan! Pete's Bday was yesterday!! Raise a glass to the master!

Long Live Rock!!
Lionel

Dale said...

Hi Dan. I'm not big on reptiles, but we don't have that many around here, so I've never had to grow used to them. I don't mind snakes - of the non-poisonous variety, mind.
Most of our wild creatures are furry...

It's amazing the difference between the Rockies and the desert. I also know how cold it can get in the mountains at night - even during summer.

I love to explore our area, too. We went for a walk the other day and bumped into (figuratively speaking) a beautiful male grouse. They walk so slowly it's a wonder they survive, especially with all the coyotes roaming these hills.
I dubbed the bird "Mr. Woodcock".

Great pics, Dan!