Saturday, September 23, 2006

Various notes of note



The wind is blowing a whole lot today. The name they use for these seasonal winds is called " The Santa Ana Winds". The picture I borrowed from Google shows a wind farm. There are quite a bit of those big propeller things not far from here...near Palm Springs.

Also...

href="Surprises'>http://www.physorg.com/news78152147.html">Surprises from the Edge of the Solar System from PhysOrg.com
Almost every day, the great antennas of NASA's Deep Space Network turn to a blank patch of sky in the constellation Ophiuchus. Pointing at nothing, or so it seems, they invariably pick up a signal, faint but full of intelligence. The source is beyond Neptune, beyond Pluto, on the verge of the stars themselves.
[...]




--Dan

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Well no wonder the wind is blowing a whole lot, with all those giant fans. It is probably a good idea to help with global warming. It will cool things down, no doubt. I guess the wind is just a side effect we all will have to get used to....

:)

grace said...

I have seen these windmill valleys. Pretty cool. Sorry your record player did not work. I have clients young and when you mention records, it is a distinct silence!! Then you have to tell them what they are!!! Whoa, talk about aging yourself!! I did some hair the other day and her Mom had a picture of herself from the 60's and I said oh my, you look like Sandra Dee, and her daughter said, "who?", so I said no not the 'Who', Sandra Dee! she looked at me ver y puzzled!!

MargieCM said...

Hi Dan,

I quite like those wind farms. There's a lot of opposition to them here because of their visual impact on the environment, but I think they're a little like surreal and interesting sculpture installations. Good use of resources, too, of course.

As for the space thing - I am such a scientific coward. It's just too big for me to contemplate while retaining any degree of sanity.

Sorry to hear about the record player. Very disappointing. Is it really beyond help?