Friday, July 17, 2009

1969 was cool!


Photo courtesy of LIFE magazine, for personal, non- commercial use.

Well, I happen to recall the very first time our planet placed a man on the moon. It seems that LIFE magazine has put out out some photos for "personal, non-commercial use". I tribute them for the photo I post, it is truly a BLAST!

WOW, what a time and place to have been in that moment. I, personally, have a story or two to tell about my own weak connection(s) to that amazing place in time....but I might post that all later. It is not so important....

...but the moment itself, for me, for all the world, was the stuff of dreams from the beginning of time.

Oh, did you know this week was the 40th anniversary of the moon landing? I shoulda started with saying that. Whoops.



Me, Dan, and my Dad, a WWII and Korean War Navy officer, back in the era of the '69 moon landing, give or take a year or so.

--Dan

5 comments:

grace said...

that is a great pic of you and your Dad.

And... yes.....1969 was very cool!

xo

MargieCM said...

What a time that was, Dan. I remember being herded into a small church hall with the rest of the primary school I went to, and "seeing" it on a tiny black and white TV across about two hundred other children't heads. The atmosphere was amazing.

Have you seen the Australian film "The Dish"? It's brilliant, and based very much on fact, although of course with some artistic licence - there is a little animosity portayed between teh NASA man at the Parkes receiving station and the Dish crew. According to the real technicians, that didn't happen, nor was there a loss of power at any time. There were, however, huge winds which threatened to tear apart the huge dish when it was fully angled looking for the signal for the moonwalk. If you haven't seen it, look it up. Apart from being a snapshot of a very special time, it's funny, and shows a lot about laconic Australian humour.

Kove the pic with your Dad - and my, how Jesse's grown!

Vallypee said...

Great pic of you and your Dad, Dan. As usual I am late here, for which I am truly sorry ;-(

I've been catching up with your posts and as always you have some great pictures and bits of info.I especially like the tree house. So special! So sorry to hear that Cruz is still unwell, though. Give her a hug for me, Dan.

Vallypee said...

PS. Yes, the moon landing was the stuff of dreams wasn't it. I can still remember the day too!

Dale said...

Hi Dan!

I remember watching the lunar landing crowded around a tiny, fuzzy TV screen with my family.

That's a great photo of you and your Dad, too.

Please post about your 1969 connection - I'd love to hear about it, whether you think it's important or not! ;)

I hope all is well and I send my love to Cruz, as well.

xx