Saturday, June 21, 2008

Guitars and big time music folks

Saturday, June 21, the longest day of the year, here in this part of our Earth.

And so...

I was visiting the Guitar Center in San Bernardino, CA, and took these fine photos...(Koos, are YOU seeing this?)

Here are some FINE youtube links to this stuff...you will even hear mention of one famous Pete Townshend...

Clapton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhxEHDS3KU

Stevie Ray Vaughn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_uuU81cwVw

San Bernardino is not too far away, and has hosted the likes of Zappa, the Rolling Stones, Elvis, ....and was the logistics center for the USAF SR-71 Blackbird, etc., etc...

Before you see the stuff on this blog, you absolutely MUST first visit the link I offer HERE:

Above: This is the actual Stevie Ray Vaughn "Lenny" guitar. WOW! It was displayed with a security guard, glass case, and what likely was an alarm sensor. There were other guitars there, also displayed in the same manner...

The guitar used by Eric Clapton (Gibson ES-335) for so many years since 1964, and used to record the great "Crossroads" song. The back of the headstock had a little "stamp" looking thing that said "Hare Krishna". Story is: It so happens that George Harrison (Beatles) gave that to Eric, and so it was then stuck on his guitar.

This is the well worn backside of Eric Clapton's "Blackie" Fender Sratocaster that was used to record many of his most famous songs. I totally forgot to get a photo of this guitar from the entire front side....I was so overwhelmed. My sweet wife, Cruz, was by my side. Maybe that is why I was so distracted! I love her.

A beautiful, well aged Gibson Les Paul, used by The Edge (of U2 fame).
Loads of fun!
--Dan

5 comments:

Vallypee said...

Oh Dan, this is a lovely post and Koos will indeed love it when he gets the chance to have a look. At the moment he is on the waterways of Holland bringing our new 'Snik' back to Rotterdam. Unfortunately, he has no Internet on board and so is reduced to actually reading BOOKS!! Yes, he is! The horror of it ;-)

Anyway, I shall be sure to point him in this direction when he gets here.

As for the photos, I am a BIG Stevie Ray fan, and just loved the video and the picture of is guitar. What a loss to all of us when he died so tragically.

And how precious that your sweet wife can still distract you so ;-)

Lovely stuff Dan.

grace said...

The ever famous Pete! good post Dan. Guitar heroes. question-how did you attach the link from Youtube, I have tried before and cannot seem to do it?

ROB said...

Hi Dan! Thanks for dropping by! Great post...beautiful guitars...you have a cool blog going here. I'll take the Clapton Es-335 anytime, I've always wanted one. The Stevie strat is nice too. Also...glad to see someone from bloggerland got tickets to the VH-1 show...Hope you got good seats. I tried and couldn't. Not for a reasonable price anyhow. Enjoy the show:)

Anne-Marie said...

Very cool, Dan. I think you need to drive out east and check out the RRHoF in Cleveland- something tells me you'd be at home there.

Enjoy the Vh1 show with your daughter.

xx
AM

Koos F said...

Hi Dan, I'm back in the harbour. Great post, my friend, and I can imagie the awe of standing eye to eye with these Tools of the Masters. I envy you for that.