Saturday, October 27, 2007

23 and counting, Dan & Cruz



October 27th, 1984. Twenty-three years ago today, this was the scene. The child at right in photo is our niece.



Only days later, Clint Eastwood was filming Pale Rider while we were on our honeymoon. We missed him by one day, as we visited a town in the Mother Lode region of the California gold country (Columbia). We did not know he was there, nor about any filming. We went into a Wells Fargo bank to look around, and were told that he was just there the day before, in that bank. He was filming a scene where he tosses his preacher's collar into a deposit box, and retrieves a gun. That was that bank. Too bad, he coulda met me! It might have changed his life. Yeah, right.



A day or two later than the "Clint Eastwood bank thing", we were visiting Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park. It was early November by that time, but no snow yet (except glacial ice and higher elevation snow). Yes, that's me coming out of the outhouse. It was built to deal with a bit of snow depth, but otherwise, use the ladder...!

Altogether we toured the high desert region around Apple Valley, went to Bishop, on to Lake Tahoe (minimal gambling at Harrah's, South Lake Tahoe), Donner Pass, Grass Valley, Truckee, numerous "gold country" stops (mines everywhere), Yosemite, Morro Bay, and back home. A great road trip.



My wife, Cruz, in Morro Bay, Calif., I'm not certain of the year, but it was around the time of honeymoon days.



Long lost brothers? Dan/Pete? That's me, 1990. The other guy is a Mirror Boy.

See ya,

--Dan

9 comments:

grace said...

Hi Dan, Happy Anniversay, some happy pictures there, I wish a very continued happy life.

The last pic is great, you must have photo shop?! You and Pete, long lost siblings!!:)

xx

Suesjoy said...

Hi Dan-
Your wife is beautiful. I hope you had a Happy Anniversary.
I am sorry to hear she is unwell.
I will pray for her.
I was given a prayer shawl that was knitted in an abbey in PA!
IbeMe from Rachel's blog sent it to me.
So sweet.
Even though I am confused about religion, my faith in Jesus is VERY strong and very much alive...I believe in miracles, and in hindsight I can see that He has been taking care of me all along.

I AM in a much better place now...I am accepting of my appearance, even though it is still a bit hard, but things could be SO much worse.
I am grateful for my health and for the amazing doctors who saved my life. They really did.

LOVE the last photo, btw. You really DO look alike!
LUCKY!!!

Take care.
Thanks for your sweet comments.
Love,
Sue

MargieCM said...

Dan, great photos. I love the lace on your beautiful Cruz's veil too - it looks very Spanish.

I think Clint Eastwood would love to have met you. However, if I had a choice between meeting Clint and seeing that amazing lavatory, I'd take the latter. it's a beauty. (We have a fine tradition of outdoor "dunnies' here, and their construction is an art form. Well, not really, but they're pretty funny.)

bookworm said...

Hi Dan,

such funny old pics. Congratulation to your both anniversay.
Yes, Magic Bus was so cool. I saw the band performing the bus song first in 1979 (Nürnberg-Germany)and ten years later in London.
Pete told us in Hannover they only play this song if the weather is very bad. We had fantastic weather this evening, but they played it. Great song.

Have a nice day
Love and peace from over the ocean
Stefan

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Dan,
Happy Anniversary to you and Cruz. Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hello- do your furry beasty a favour and keep him home just in case over the next few days. There are some sick minds out there.

xx
AM

gypsy noir said...

Hello Dan, thanks for the ghostly comments, and i'd love to hear more of your ghosts, Neilby and I love to hear about stuff like this..

Happy Anniversary to you both. Wow!, imagine if you had bumped into Clint in Cowboy mode..

Dale said...

Hi Dan

Happy Anniversary, Dan and Cruz!

Pale Rider is one of my very favourite movies!
The fall scenery is exceptional, as are the mountains at that time of year. And Clint's horse is beautiful!

Metalchick said...

Hi Dan,
Happy Anniversary!

I was almost done touching up those photos for you, but now my computer's not working again! I hope to have them done soon, but luckily I have them saved in my inbox, so I can work on them somewhere else if neccessary.

I hope you and your wife are doing well. Take care.

Hans said...

Belated Happy Anniversary greetings to you!
Pete or Dan or Dan or Pete, who is who or who is The Who in the pictures? :)